openssl-rand, rand - generate pseudo-random bytes
] [ -out file
] [ -rand
] [ -writerand file
] [ -base64
] [ -hex
command outputs num
pseudo-random bytes after seeding the
random number generator once. As in other openssl
command line tools,
PRNG seeding uses the file $HOME/.rnd
in addition to the files given in the -rand
option. A new
file will be written
back if enough seeding was obtained from these sources.
- Print out a usage message.
- -out file
- Write to file instead of standard output.
- -rand file...
- A file or files containing random data used to seed the
random number generator. Multiple files can be specified separated by an
OS-dependent character. The separator is ; for MS-Windows, ,
for OpenVMS, and : for all others.
- [-writerand file]
- Writes random data to the specified file upon exit.
This can be used with a subsequent -rand flag.
- Perform base64 encoding on the output.
- Show the output as a hex string.
Copyright 2000-2016 The OpenSSL Project Authors. All Rights Reserved.
Licensed under the OpenSSL license (the "License"). You may not use
this file except in compliance with the License. You can obtain a copy in the
file LICENSE in the source distribution or at